Sunday, August 07, 2005

Turtle Surprise

The Wife called herself a beached whale the other day when she couldn't get off her back. I said that was really more like a turtle. She agreed, sort-of.

Her 30th birthday is 8/16/05. We had a surprise party for her yesterday. It was great. The rouse was a family baby shower at her sister's house about 45 minutes away. And then they would come back this direction to go furniture shopping and I'd have them swing by to get me. Except she didn't know about that second part of the plan until yesterday. The Wife said she was a little suspicious, because she thought, yah, I'll be gone all day and then have a party tonight. But her family played it cool and didn't act like there was any set time to leave. And when she called me to find out what I wanted to do and when, I was very nonchalant. "Yah, I'd like to go, just come by and get me whenever."

So she gets here, leaves her mom and niece in the running car, comes in and says, "You ready? Let's go."

"Yahhhh, come see what your dogs did in the back yard today."

"Okay, but mom and Kendall are in the car!"

"I know, it will just take a second."

I didn't realize she was carrying cake from the baby shower, and as she's walking through the kitchen, she starts to put it in the fridge, with all the party food (all the guests are out back).

"HERE. I'll get that!" As I accidentally stab her hand with my thumbnail. I've lost all my play-it-cool at this point.

She steps outside to a ton of people and, "SURPRISE!".

"Oh. Wow." Then she turns to me, "But mom and Kendall are in the car."

"No they're not, they're coming in."

"But everyone's going furniture shopping."

"No they're not, they're coming here."

"Oh."

Heh-heh. Even though she was suspicious earlier, she had completely dismissed the possibility, never suspecting her family was in on it.

It was good fun. I even made homemade ice cream like she requested.

FILE UNDER: PRE-PARENTHOOD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really was a wonderful day. I can't belive you actually managed to pull a fast one on me.

Thanks for being the most wonderful husband there ever was. I'm one lucky girl.

The Wife.